You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-06 09:32

ggc

Solved - Moving a window bigger than screen

I would like to know if and how it is possible to move a window that is bigger than the resolution of the screen.

E.g. the libreoffice white paper starts with a big windows (that's also a bug in libreoffice and i think i'll try to post it), and i can't reach help or extension buttons in the lower left part.

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: SOLVED -> Virtualbox was stealing the alt key

p.s. sorry for few threads but i write when i have time to do so, and i think it's better to have only one question for thread. Thank you.

Last edited by ggc (2019-08-06 17:59)

Attachments:
png VirtualBox_Q4os 32 bit_06_08_2019_10_27_31.png, Size: 52.11 KiB, Downloads: 432

#2 2019-08-06 10:41

Dai_trying

Re: Solved - Moving a window bigger than screen

I no longer use VirtualBox, but can't you simply resize the VM window (provided you have installed the guest additions) to resize the screen (and desktop)?

#3 2019-08-06 10:57

ggc

Well we will use it on a netbook with the same problem.

Also unfortunatly some other programs have the same problem. e.g. the preferences window of arduino ide.

Last edited by ggc (2019-08-06 11:00)

#4 2019-08-06 13:39

cjoliprsf

ggc wrote:

I would like to know if and how it is possible to move a window that is bigger than the resolution of the screen.

E.g. the libreoffice white paper starts with a big windows (that's also a bug in libreoffice and i think i'll try to post it), and i can't reach help or extension buttons in the lower left part.

I used to have a very small Acer Aspire One laptop. The display was 1024 by only 600 pixels deep, so I very often encountered that problem of not being able to reach buttons that were on bottom of dialogs.
That laptop was my first Linux machine and was installed with Lubuntu (originally XP).
I did the following for workaround:
I defined a deeper desktop of 1024x900 pixels, and when the mouse reached the bottom or top of the screen it scrolled down or up.
The command to do so was
xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1024x600 --fb 1024x900 --panning 1024x900

Needs a bit of adaptation to get used to the scrolling desktop, but it did help a lot on that particular laptop. You can put the command in the startup if you like the result.

#5 2019-08-06 15:43

ggc

cjoliprsf wrote:
ggc wrote:

I used to have a very small Acer Aspire One laptop. The display was 1024 by only 600 pixels deep, so I very often encountered that problem of not being able to reach buttons that were on bottom of dialogs.
That laptop was my first Linux machine and was installed with Lubuntu (originally XP).
I did the following for workaround:
I defined a deeper desktop of 1024x900 pixels, and when the mouse reached the bottom or top of the screen it scrolled down or up.
The command to do so was
xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1024x600 --fb 1024x900 --panning 1024x900

Needs a bit of adaptation to get used to the scrolling desktop, but it did help a lot on that particular laptop. You can put the command in the startup if you like the result.

That's a really nice, very nice workaround but not a solution.

I had lubuntu installed before and with alt + click i was able to drag the window to see missing parts. I hope there is a way to do so even with trinity!

#6 2019-08-06 17:08

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

ggc wrote:

I had lubuntu installed before and with alt + click i was able to drag the window to see missing parts. I hope there is a way to do so even with trinity!

That works in Trinity exactly in the same manner.

#7 2019-08-06 17:59

ggc

q4osteam wrote:
ggc wrote:

That works in Trinity exactly in the same manner.

Ooops so sorry... virtualbox was stealing the alt key!

Thank you!

Board footer