You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-10 22:40

pippin

i3 Window Manager

Hi guys,

I recently installed i3wm, to try it out. It is a tiling window manager and fast, and although it looks minimalist, it is VERY configurable, with enough tweaking to keep a hacker happy for weeks!

I just wondered if anyone else had tried i3, and if so, what your experience had been ?

FYI,the machine it is on is a 12-year old Toshiba laptop, with 2Gb RAM, and a 80Gb HD, running Q4OS-2.7, as per screenshot.

Attachments:
png snapshot1.png, Size: 106.16 KiB, Downloads: 588

#2 2019-08-02 04:38

cjoliprsf

Re: i3 Window Manager

pippin wrote:

I recently installed i3wm, to try it out. It is a tiling window manager and fast, and although it looks minimalist, it is VERY configurable, with enough tweaking to keep a hacker happy for weeks!

As a matter of curiosity, how did you install it?
It is not on the list of DE that Q4OS profiler permits to install...
Just for fun (after making a snapshot in VirtualBox) I tried a sudo apt install i3wm, but that command doesn't work.

P.S. With your identifier (Pippin) and the apple image you use, I guess you are an apple lover, grower maybe? cider maker? (I am cider maker...)

#3 2020-06-10 16:43

Severus

I3wm is one of the best stacking window managers alongside DWM and others.  It is extremely stable, lightweight and very difficult to crash.  I would love to see a blending of I3wm and trinity as an alternate to trinity which presumably uses kwin.

#4 2020-06-10 23:34

wove

In Debian/Q4OS i3wm is called i3-wm. It can be found in Synaptics or can it be install via sudo apt install. The meta package to install all the bits and pieces of i3wm is simply called i3 and can be either installed via Synaptics or via terminal. I too have been curious to see Trinity applications running on a tiling window manager. However many application in Trinity run well at full screen and are suited well to simply using multiple work space and toggling between the spaces.

bill

Board footer