You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-28 17:02

bfu

sound problem: can't switch between internal audio and headphones

Hi, I'm not able to switch the sound output between internal loudspeakers and headphones. I always get sound from both outputs. When I try to mute master volume, the headphones and internal loudspeakers have no sound. How can I get sound output on headphones only?

#2 2019-04-28 22:11

jessexschilling
Website

Re: sound problem: can't switch between internal audio and headphones

With your headphones plugged in, right-click on the volume icon in the task-bar (bottom-right of screen). left-click "show mixer window." I think the default display will show a single slider and Pulseaudio. There is a drop-down menu in the top-right. left-click it. choose your sound card (there may be multiple options depending on your hardware). You should now have multiple sliders (depending on your sound card). There should also be some tabs in the top-left of the window. select "switches." check to see if "auto-mute" is enabled. If it is, then for some reason the system is not recognizing your headphones being plugged in, so the volume for the internal speakers is not being automatically lowered to minimum. If that is the case, you will have to manually lower the "speaker" volume slider under the "output" tab (the main screen of the mixer from earlier when you selected your sound-card).

If you have already done the above and it has not worked, it is possible that your sound card is finicky, and someone with a bit more know-how will have to step in to help us further.

Jesse Schilling | rainydayshirts

#3 2019-04-29 05:52

bin

Re: sound problem: can't switch between internal audio and headphones

In addition to the excellent advice above, if that doesn't help, please open Konsole and enter

sudo apt-get install inxi

After installation please do

inxi -F

and copy/paste the results back here - that will provide a bit more info about your hardware which will help.

Board footer