You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-12 07:45

CodeHunterEx

Q4OS Virtualbox install

I have 'Virtualbox 5.2.22 r126460 (Qt5.6.2)' installed in Windows 7.
I have downloaded both 'q4os-2.6-x64.r5.iso' and 'q4os-2.6-x64-instcd.r4.iso'

I have the same issue with both images.

Here is the issue:
I install the normal way (boot iso in vbox and either run the live system/install, or run the 'classic install')
All works fine.  Once installed it boots for the first time.  All is again working.
Once it loads it says that I am running Q4os in virtualbox and asks if I want to install the guest additions.  I agree and let it install and reboot.

Now is the problem.  Once it reboots after the vbox additions all I get is the terminal prompt asking for login.  Trinity doesn't load.

I have tried this multiple times with both images with the same results.  I even told it not to reboot, logged out, verified it was going to use TDE and then rebooted.  Again it reboots to the command line asking for login.

I could try loading TDE manually, but cannot find what the command is.

CAn anyone help with this?  Thank you.

#2 2018-11-12 09:04

Dai_trying

Re: Q4OS Virtualbox install

I'm using Virtualbox 5.2.22 r126460 (Qt5.7.1) (on Linux) and have not noticed this issue, are you using standard BIOS or the UEFI appliance set up? (from virtualbox settings)

I have not used the latest Q4OS version recently but last used the r2 version which worked fine, I will test it this morning and see if the latest images work here. Also have you tried it without installing the virtualbox additions? If so did that boot ok?

#3 2018-11-12 10:28

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

We are not able to reproduce the issue so far, however we will continue to investigate it and report back as some new information is available. You could try to load TDE display manager in terminal this way:
$ sudo systemctl restart tdm.service
or alternatively as a user:
$ startx

Please post back a result.

#4 2018-11-12 10:42

Dai_trying

I just tested using the r5 image (Live-Cd) and installation went fine and additions installed and subsequent boot worked without issue.

#5 2018-11-12 20:44

CodeHunterEx

Dai_trying wrote:

I'm using Virtualbox 5.2.22 r126460 (Qt5.7.1) (on Linux) and have not noticed this issue, are you using standard BIOS or the UEFI appliance set up? (from virtualbox settings)

I have not used the latest Q4OS version recently but last used the r2 version which worked fine, I will test it this morning and see if the latest images work here. Also have you tried it without installing the virtualbox additions? If so did that boot ok?

Yes that booted just fine and no issues.

q4osteam wrote:

We are not able to reproduce the issue so far, however we will continue to investigate it and report back as some new information is available. You could try to load TDE display manager in terminal this way:
$ sudo systemctl restart tdm.service
or alternatively as a user:
$ startx

Please post back a result.

Thank you I will write that down.  I will create a separate non-functioning vbox and test that and report back.

I did a re-install without additions to see if that worked, and as I stated above, it did.  After I rebooted and was back in Trinity, I went into the 'Software Centre' and choose 'Virtualbox Additions [3.02]'.  Once completed and rebooting Trinity booted back up as expected.

For some reason the other 'Guest Additions' messed up and I don't know why, but using the Additions from the Software Centre works fine.

#6 2018-11-12 21:32

Dai_trying

When I tested this morning I installed the additions via the pop-up dialog after installation and it worked for me so I guess there was some anomaly that caused a glitch with your first attempt, out of curiosity do you still have the original VM and does start correctly now or is it still just giving you a command prompt?

#7 2018-11-13 00:50

CodeHunterEx

Dai_trying wrote:

When I tested this morning I installed the additions via the pop-up dialog after installation and it worked for me so I guess there was some anomaly that caused a glitch with your first attempt, out of curiosity do you still have the original VM and does start correctly now or is it still just giving you a command prompt?

Sorrry, the original has been overwriten, unfortunately.  It would be good to find out what the gremlin was.  Right now all is working and when I tried to install on a separate vm it went as expected so it wasn't reproduced.  Strange.

If I come across it again I will definately save it.  Thank you everyone for the assistance.

#8 2018-11-13 10:14

Dai_trying

You're welcome smile

Board footer