You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-31 10:47

Dai_trying

[Solved] Centaurus screen blank on startup

I have had this issue for a while now and have been trying to find the reason for it, basically what happens is the computer (and laptop) goes through the normal boot process but after target desktop (that is the terminal part of boot up is complete) is reached the screen goes blank and remains that way for usually around 6 minutes. After this the screen comes back and tde loading screen shows and then I am given the desktop which works without issue. I found through testing that if I click and move the mouse a couple of times it brings the screen up sooner and upon checking the logs found a couple of things that gave me a clue to this:-

Oct 31 09:03:29 centaurus kernel: [   53.248250] random: crng init done
Oct 31 09:03:29 centaurus kernel: [   53.248451] random: 7 urandom warning(s) missed due to ratelimiting

which occurs after the delay period of screen blanking. This made me remember some posts on Debian User Forum regarding entropy not being created and preventing desktop display and some other issues, the solution was quite simply to install the package haveged which creates the required entropy and prevents this (and some other) issue(s).

I hope this can help anyone else having some strange issues like this but remember at the same time Centaurus is a testing version. smile

#2 2018-10-31 10:52

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: [Solved] Centaurus screen blank on startup

Thanks for sharing this. We will check and possibly fix it within the new Centaurus release.

#3 2018-10-31 12:49

Dai_trying

Re: [Solved] Centaurus screen blank on startup

You are welcome, I had noticed quite a few posts on the Debian Forum where users needed this for other issues so it is a Debian specific problem and not just Q4OS. Hopefully Debian Devs will address this before Buster goes Stable. smile

Board footer