You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-30 11:46

Dai_trying

kde menu items structure

I noticed after a full desktop profile install that a couple of menu entries were placed strangely, for instance okular was placed in start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Office -> Office -> Okular which seemed to be one office directory too far, the solution I found was to edit the .desktop file and change the line

Categories=Qt;KDE;Graphics;Office;Viewer;

to read

Categories=Qt;TDE;Graphics;Office;Viewer;

so simply changing this entry from KDE to TDE will result in the menu entry being start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Office -> Okular which seems more logical to me.

I also found smtube had the same issue and was resolved in the same way. I would think any KDE package is likely to create the same type of menu entry so this could be used for any package that looks out of place.

To find the location of the desktop file you could issue the following command (change okular for the package you want to find)

locate okular | grep desktop

This relies on installing mlocate (or similar) and then using the command sudo updatedb to refresh the location information beforehand.

Hope this can be useful to anyone who dislikes menu entries being weird (like I do) smile

EDIT:
Anyone using the Plasma desktop might find this does not have the intended effect although I haven't tested it.

Last edited by Dai_trying (2018-07-30 11:47)

#2 2018-07-30 12:51

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: kde menu items structure

Thanks for the tip. This seems to be a Trinity glitch, maybe an intended feature ?, as the categorization passes the same way with the plain Debian/Trinity installation. We will consider to report it as a bug at TDE developers.

#3 2018-07-30 15:15

Dai_trying

You're welcome guys, I thought it was just a difference in how KDE handles it's menu structure. smile

#4 2018-09-25 10:47

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

#5 2020-10-30 08:56

Scott_CA

I stumbled upon the 'KBFX' menu while perusing Synaptic packages.   It is similar to Xfce or Cinnamon scrolling menus, very different from the classic TDE cascading/tree menu.    Configuration can be complex, but I only changed the overall window size.   Why use only 1/4th of the screen for the main menu, and have to continually and carefully scroll?   I changed the 'Layout/Main Menu Height' to 1000 pixels, and the 'Layout/Item Properties/Item Height' to 950 pixels.   The scrollable menu now fills the left half of the screen, displays about 20 items, with RecentStuff and Settings 1 click away.  Very efficient !!   However, it does not have the ability to 'Add item to desktop' that the TDE menu has, so I have both in the panel.

Board footer