You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-04 12:42

graeme61

Transfer data

Hello everyone

Setting up Q4OS on a new PC as the laptop has packed in.
The hard drive  from laptop with Q4OS 2.4 is OK.

My question or questions are.....

1.Can I transfer the data from hard drive (laptop) to new PC ,(just like what you can do with a windows system) ?
2.If so, will the data from hard drive (laptop) with Q4OS 2.4 transfer to the new PC with Q4OS 2.5 or will I need to install Q4OS 2.4?

I have a number of files and tutorials and also .bat files I created for software.
Together with several files with aviation waypoints which took a while to build up ,I would like to recover.

Hope this makes sense ?

Kind Regards
Graeme

#2 2018-07-04 21:39

mx-zw

Re: Transfer data

Hi Graeme,

I would suggest to use an USB-Stick to transfer your data from one PC to the other

Regards,
Max

#3 2018-07-05 00:01

Dai_trying

I have an external usb 2.5" HDD caddy that I use to transfer anything I want from laptop HDD's to desktop systems, it works much the same as a usb stick does except that it shows as another HDD on the system (which can be mounted via konqueror->Storage media), This would allow you full access to all the data on your laptop HDD.

I am guessing you cannot use the laptop to simply transfer the data onto a usb stick the normal way (laptop packed in) but if your desktop has the correct connections (guessing SATA) you should be able to simply plug it in place of a second hdd (or temporarily use the cd/dvd connections if it is SATA) and copy everything over that way.

It might also be possible to simply copy the installation straight over to the new machines HDD (using a Live-cd and Gparted) although you might need to jump a few hurdles to get it working properly especially if your desktop machine is UEFI but I would need a bit more info of both systems before I could say for sure, I have done this before but only using normal BIOS machines (MBR) and if I recall the only niggle was getting grub set up correctly, but it can be done using chroot.

Most of the ways I would try rely upon being able to connect the HDD in some way to your desktop machine, so that is the first thing you need to overcome, and if there is anything you want to know regarding the methods i have mentioned let me know and I will try to give some more precise instructions.

#4 2018-07-13 21:59

graeme61

Hello to everyone .

Thank you Dai_Trying and Max for your replies.

Yes i have a external  2.5" hdd caddy with a usb2 but could not use it as the pc has usb3 ports.
So i bought a nice little gadget with a usb3 on it .
I have enclosed a jpg of the item to let you see.
It only cost £3.85 and it is a well made product.
While i am typing this i have the hard drive out from the laptop and connected to the pc via this gadget and is transferring the data very fast  without any problems.

The pc has Q4OS Version  2.4.3 upgraded to 2.5 installed.

Although the pc has a intel core i5 the Q4OS setup mentioned amd64 during installation .
Only problem i can see is a very slight bit of lag sometimes.

But i did read that Q4OS 3.1 Centaurus will be for newer pcs laptops etc .

Look forward to this new version in due course.

In the meantime have a nice weekend everyone.

Kind Regards
Graeme

Attachments:
jpg s-l1600.jpg, Size: 99.78 KiB, Downloads: 530

#5 2018-07-13 23:24

Dai_trying

I have two external devices, one is USB2 and the other is USB3 and both work whether connected to USB2 or USB3 port, the only difference would be the data transfer speed, so I'm not sure why your USB2 device wouldn't work... I haven't seen any hardware (so far) that doesn't have backward compatibility with USB ports but I guess it might be possible. smile

Glad to hear things seem to be going well though and hopefully everything will be up and running pretty soon.

And the mention of amd64 during install would likely be just a reference to the architecture, it is usually described as amd64 instead of just 64 bit, this is normal and is nothing to be concerned about. Some info on supported architectures can be found in the debian wiki.

#6 2018-07-14 20:40

Rademes

graeme61 wrote:

Yes i have a external  2.5" hdd caddy with a usb2 but could not use it as the pc has usb3 ports.

That is very oddly. USB 3.0/3.1 should be fully compatible with USB 2.0 hmm

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

Board footer