You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-12 17:21

aldrik

lxqt

Hello all

I want to test lxqt with Q4os 2, but this the 0.11 one.
I want to "erase" it and i find something on the forum :

$ sudo apt-get autoremove lxqt lxqt-session lxqt-admin lxqt-policykit lxqt-powermanagement lxqt-runner lxqt-qtplugin pcmanfm lxqt-about lxqt-config lxappearance lxappearance-obcon

(http://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=310)

now on my Q4os i don't have the automatic startx
i have login and password in text then i write startx all is ok

I do something wrong ?

thank you all - i'm french (sorry for my english word)

aldrik

#2 2018-06-12 17:42

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: lxqt

You probably need to run in terminal:
$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure tdm-trinity
select 'tdm' as the default display manager and reboot.

#3 2018-06-12 18:23

aldrik

Thank you Team that's ok !

regards

#4 2018-06-13 12:15

witloof

If you don't mind me jumping in  ?
Why are we still running 0.11 ?
Most distros are running 0.12 for sometime now
and Sparky linux can be upgraded to 0.13 ( yes, my neighbor did yesterday )

Thanks

#5 2018-06-13 15:28

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@witloof
Q4OS uses Debian repositories, so keeps Lxqt 0.11 version in stable version. Q4OS doesn't want to provide the latest cutting edge software, but focuses on to be as reliable and rock stable as possible. The Debian stable repositories is the most appropriate base to achieve this goal.

#6 2018-06-14 10:09

witloof

OK, I fully understand this, but the con side is, that if they do not supply 0.12, then it will never be tried and therefore never be improved.
It's like saying, I have a car in the garage, but I don't want it damaged, therefore I don't drive it.
I wait till road safety has improved.

Sorry, just my personal opinion .

#7 2018-06-14 10:34

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

@witloof
Stability is the primary and essential feature for Q4OS, as well as for other distributions that have built strategy on top of it, and we must to keep stability as best as possible. We don't want to break production systems by major upgrades in stable branch.

Anyway, we agree a newer versions of software need to be tried and tested too. So the testing version, Q4OS 3 Centaurus at the moment, is intended and released for this purpose. The most recent Lxqt version 0.13 is available in Centaurus, so we recommend you to install Centaurus, if you want to try or test the new Lxqt version.

#8 2018-12-29 10:21

witloof

OK, Will do soon.

Happy New Year to all

#9 2019-01-27 22:49

kendew

Just wondering,witloof, if you are still around and if you ever installed Centaurus.  That's something I'm working on now.  I too like Lxqt and installed it on the stable version of Q4OS.  One reason I chose to try out Q4OS was I thought maybe Lxqt would integrate easier with some of the needed libraries, etc., already installed, compared to a distro like MX that is very Xfce focused.

The only tricky thing I ever found using Lxqt on Debian stable was some years ago, and I don't know if it's still relevant or not.  Lxqt insists on installing Xscreensaver.  Xscreensaver was upgraded by the developers for security reasons, but Debian stable didn't pay attention to this so every time I logged in I  got an error to the effect, "you are running an unsafe version of Xscreensaver" and Xscreensaver wouldn't function.  I tried uninstalling it but it seemed Lxqt missed having it around. 
Perhaps things like that have been solved since then, and my hopes are an independent distro, even if Debian based, would be keeping an eye out for such incompatibilities.

As an aside, I fully appreciate stability, especially for my project now, which is to distribute Linux installed on old machinery, but desktop and server uses do have different needs.  For example, I was running Gimp on Debian stable and tried to use a file created there with Gimp on my Arch computer, and couldn't, because the Gimp 8 file wouldn't open in Gimp 10.  There are also issues where a significant upgrade, like when Firefox went Quantum, will be a long time arriving on Debian stable.  Hopefully Q4OS developers are responsive to such needs and issues.

There are some things you can try.  You can see if a backport is available and install by enabling the relevant repository, and then disable after installing if you like.   Far less safe is temporarily enabling the testing repository if the package is there.  I'd research it thoroughly before doing so. 

If you did install Centaurus, I'd appreciate if you'd let me know how that worked for you.
Kendew

Board footer