You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-30 22:32

crosscourt
Website

PlayOnLinux- Another open source solution for Linux game lovers

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#2 2017-07-01 00:11

JimW

Re: PlayOnLinux- Another open source solution for Linux game lovers

Ok, POL installed - download kindle for pc - start POL - install non listed program - select KindleForPC-installer-1.20.47037.exe - crash -

Error in POL_Wine
Wine seems to have crashed

If your program is running, just ignore this message

program is NOT running.

Same results trying to install irfanview (iview444_setup.exe).

Do I need to find older versions of these?

#3 2017-07-01 00:22

crosscourt
Website

Possibly Jim but I havent run PlayOnLinux recently so Id have to do some testing to see whats going on.

Q4OS Aquarius 5.1 KDE   Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny i5-6500T, 16gb ddr4 ram, 512gb m.2 ssd

#4 2017-07-01 05:57

bin

First off I must stress that POL and Wine are not identical in as much as windows progs can be made to work under both or either but success rates will possibly vary.

Irfanview older versions ran OK under Wine but there were some glitches. The best Windows based app of that type that I use is Faststone. I have used it almost every every day for 3 years and it works. Using the Q4OS Wine installer provides all the bits - The only thing you may need to do is install winetricks to go with it. Can't remember if Q4OS installer brings that in or not. DL Faststone installer from http://www.faststonesoft.net/DN/FSViewerSetup62.zip and unzip to get the executable. Right click on the exe and select Open with> Wine Windows Program Loader. Let the installer run and install other bits it may ask for. Next in a terminal run 'winetricks comctl32' That will install an oldish dll which is vital for displaying the thumbnails correctly. That's it - it will just work - and it is better than Irfanview in almost every way.

However - you cannot do this in POL unless you unravel what Winetricks is doing to install the comctl32.dll as it does not have a simple way of doing it - there is a facilty to add components but this ain't one of them. I'm not saying it cannot be done under POL, it is just messy so why bother. I have Faststone working with Wine, Picassa needs POL and other stuff uses Crossover Office all side by side quite happily.

The reason for this long winded explanation is to illustrate that running windows progs under linux can be more convoluted than first appears.

As to Kindle for PC - take a looks at https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. … &iId=10597 and you'll see it has a chequered history. If I read correctly from Amazon the current version is in the 1.20.x series you're probably out of luck.

#5 2017-07-01 16:57

crosscourt
Website

Agree with Bin's comments and it really shows how painful in can be at times running Windows apps under Linux. I use Crossover quite a bit but its not free.

Kindle for PC has many issues so Ill have to play with it a bit and see what can be done.

Last edited by crosscourt (2017-07-01 17:38)

Board footer