You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-08 14:32

Rademes

Solving compatibility issue with Systemback.

Good day!
Previously I have reported a problem with Systemback, because Systemback refused to save /program_files folder onto Live system image.
http://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1113
I also have reported this problem to Systemback`s support forum:
https://sourceforge.net/p/systemback/di … 4d61/#b5c6
The Systemback`s author answered, that this problem occurred because "The FHS (Filesystem Hierarchy Standard) does not contains this '/program_files' directory. The Systemback saves only the standard system files."
https://sourceforge.net/p/systemback/di … #42ea/deef

To solve this problem, please move /program_files folder to one of directories, suggested by Systemback`s author - /usr/local or /opt.
Currently, Q4OS is partially incompatible with Systemback. sad I always use it for creating Live systems and backups.

Last edited by Rademes (2016-10-08 14:34)

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#2 2016-10-08 18:37

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: Solving compatibility issue with Systemback.

We could consider to adapt Q4OS to be FHS compliant, however it's about quite fundamental transition.

#3 2016-10-08 19:14

Dai_trying

From what I can see it is only the q4os installers that use this directory ( I could be wrong I'm no expert ) if that is the case could it be (relatively) simple to adapt the installers to use one of the directories suggested by Rademes?
In the mean-time I will adapt my installers to use /opt/trinity/program_files using this method to be compatible with Systemback (and probably other similar applications).

#4 2016-10-08 20:49

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Yes, the Q4OS system itself is fully FHS compliant. The only some of external installers use this 'program_files' directory, of course they could be easily modified, nonetheless it's about decision of principle for us, as said above.

#5 2016-10-08 22:36

Dai_trying

I don't want to get too deep on this but could I ask what the objection is to moving the installation folder? I would understand it could mean much more work than simply changing the installer routines, but nevertheless I have to ask.

#6 2016-10-09 06:09

bin

A quick scootch around my box shows various bits in program_files from both wine and thunderbird

Oddly the /program_files/xpq4 folder contains /opt/trinity/......

Although I regularly use Systemback it is after a basic build and config - apps are always installed later so I've never noticed the ommission. However in terms of being able to build a fully working, restorable live media system, which is also great for demos, I can see it is a real pain.

#7 2016-10-09 17:26

Rademes

As I figured out, I should switch back to Clonezilla for now, as my request is difficult to accomplish. Hope, Clonezilla will not suffer from this problem. Frankly, I also want to know, why this /program_files folder was moved to root directory.

bin wrote:

Although I regularly use Systemback it is after a basic build and config - apps are always installed later so I've never noticed the ommission.

The problem is, that after Full featured desktop profile installation, the default browser - Chromium needs this folder to launch, so at the end we have Live system with broken Chromium and Thunderbird...

Last edited by Rademes (2016-10-09 19:01)

Before asking for help please read this topic: https://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3502   If you have problems with WiFi network, try to install the Network Manager using Q4OS Software Centre.

#8 2016-10-10 11:17

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Well, it has been approved by the team, that the installer's destination folder '/program_files/' will be moved to '/opt/program_files/'. It could take a time.

@Rademes
In the meantime, you could easily workaround the issue. You don't need to use Q4OS installer, just install Chromium from repositories, it will not use '/program_files/' folder.

@Rademes
Please don't use '!' and 'Important' tags in the topic subject to keep the list clean and transparent. You can mention the personal severity of the issue in the message body.

#9 2016-10-11 18:49

Rademes

Thank you Team for your decision! Of course I will wait as long as it needs to. Please don`t think that I ask to make those changes right now, I will use Clonezilla until /program_files folder will be moved. What was important for me is your positive decision to make asked changes.

q4osteam wrote:

In the meantime, you could easily workaround the issue. You don't need to use Q4OS installer, just install Chromium from repositories, it will not use '/program_files/' folder.

Chromium is automatically installed with Full featured desktop profile.

Last edited by Rademes (2016-10-11 18:50)

Board footer