You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-22 23:30

Seeker

How to get a "Pure Firefox" & "Create Launcher" desktop icon on Q4OS

Usually there's no Firefox on Debian repository.
Debian want us to use their rebrand Iceweasel.
But who knows..... some of users might want A Pure Firefox Without Any Linux Distro Modifications.
Even LibreOffice need Firefox skins resources. So I've made this tutorial specially.
Also I'll give how to create Launcher on Desktop from binaries applications as a bonus.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3PiwoiXKZ0[/youtube]

Although the VDO is 14 minutes doing it real is just within 1 minutes.
14 minutes that because of typing description in tutorial.

I'll start the port all my tutorials from Xubuntu's training to Q4OS.

Last edited by Seeker (2015-12-23 11:43)

#2 2015-12-24 09:32

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Re: How to get a "Pure Firefox" & "Create Launcher" desktop icon on Q4OS

Agree with crosscourt, the easiest way to install native and the latest version of Firefox is through the Q4OS Software centre. However Seeker's tutorial is very helpful too, specifically for users they prefer original Mozilla's source.

#3 2015-12-24 12:00

Seeker

I've my 2 specific reasons about it

1. First reason:
I can put this "Official Pure Firefox" binary on my usb & install it on any other Difficult Linux distro.
Not only just Firefox I've 200 of binaries of portable applications that I can just extract from tar
& right click the executable "file" & .sh file to run these portable binary softwares. Same as extract zip portable apps on Windows.
This are also the reason why I don't suffering any Linux distro difficulties. I applied the same methods on every distros.

2. Second Reason:
It's a dark reason I can't tell anyone here directly. hmm
It's something to do with "M??? Firefox" which I've been avoid by purpose.
It's about http://p????g?s.?????????.com b????
Which I don't want to revealed it. It's also the reason why I left ???? forever.

I've sent you the reason already So I'd like Q4OS team to checked at the info@q4os.org it quite important.
I don't reveal this ???? because I'm respect your secret formula. It's also why I ask you about .esh files on that thread.

Everything I've done are "Chains Related" there's a deep reason behind but most people judge the book from it's cover
from what I've doing & mistook for something stupid. Nobody do something that look stupid without reason behind. I'm in of one them.
Just like Jackson Pollock's world expensive paint. If I judge by it's cover like others I'd consider it's ugly & unworthy.
If I find the reasons behind this painting I'd understand why is so worth it.

Last edited by Seeker (2015-12-24 12:41)

#4 2015-12-24 16:40

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

Nothing secret and dark with Firefox in Q4OS. Installer simply takes LMDE (Mint Debian) Firefox from Betsy repository and install it within Q4OS, everyone is able to see it during installation process. Mint Firefox is fully compatible with Debian/Q4OS. There are many tutorials around how to do it for Debian based distributions. Mint repository is removed after installation, however you can optionally add it later using 'qrepoadd' tool, public Mint gpg key is preserved in Q4OS. We don't see anything dark.

Seeker, please tell us, what is the principal difference between using Mint and Ubuntu launchpad repositories, as you ask to use in this topic http://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=110 ?

Keep in mind, any binary installation including Mozilla's Firefox blob could be a potential risk.

#5 2015-12-25 02:34

Seeker

If you ask the difference is Ubuntu provide Launchpad ppa for their official software & volunteer developers
to host their own repository with Ubuntu & Debian seperately from Ubuntu main universe themselves

While Mint only host their own repo they don't provide repositories for official softwares developers to host their own.
All packages they've compile & modified by their own none of them host separately from their main repo.

None of them are provide by the official software developers.
This is why I want to avoid Mint's modified software packages.

Also Mint's repo cause Gtk Qt engine themebreak which not only affect Debian.
Also affect Mint Linux Distro itself. I've never find solution to fix gtk qt engine theme break on Mint at all.
Even I ask Mint support they still confuse about what I'm mention about. hmm
I've a traumatic experience from installing softwares from Mint's repo & I don't want to talk about.
I've an opposite experience from Mint(All flavours) which is why I'm ditch Mint to Q4OS, Debian & Xubuntu.

So far I never have problem with binaries if I have everyone that play
PokeMMO, YGOPro, Minecraft, Tor Browser, Popcorntime  would be all busted.
since all of these games & softwares are binaries.
What really risk are self compiled packages from source. Which I usually don't mess with it.

Last edited by Seeker (2015-12-25 08:03)

#6 2015-12-25 10:09

q4osteam
Q4OS Team
Website

No other dependencies from Mint repository pull Firefox installer in, only 'firefox' package is installed. The repository is used during installation only and is removed by installer automatically immediately, Q4OS system is NOT anyhow affected by Mint dependencies. Many of Linux distributions use external repositories to install desired software, Q4OS is not an exception.

#7 2015-12-25 10:34

Seeker

q4osteam wrote:

No other dependencies from Mint repository pull Firefox installer in, only pure 'firefox' package is installed. The repository is used during installation only and is removed by installer automatically immediately, Q4OS system is NOT anyhow affected by Mint dependencies. Most of Linux distributions use external repositories to install desired software, Q4OS is not an exception.

That's quite good to hear, thanks for making auto-closed after install I don't want that Mint's repo left open.
No wonder why I install stuffs from terminal none of them pulled from Mint backports repo.
This is why I still gamble my trust on Q4OS. big_smile

I also used to absorb Mintinstall from Mint Rosa repo to install on my Ubuntu run along with USC sucessfully as well.
but I've to close mint ppa manually un software-properties after install to prevent Mint core mix with my Ubuntu core.
Similiar as Q4OS does in auto turn on and off.

Board footer